Suggest problem with healthcare: The current system with 40 million uninsured
Healthcare of the uninsured visiting ERs and not doing preventative care before it’s extremely expensive and paid for by the medical industry and/or tax payers. The overall costs of uninsured and insured healthcare is too expensive. The quality of healthcare is too low for many areas of the county.
Suggest Solution: Obama care or any other insurance based solution
By providing everyone health insurance people will go to their family doctor before they get really sick saving the medical industry and tax payers lots of money while raising the quality of life for everyone involved.
- Quality of life goes up for those with insurance
- Quality of life goes up for those without insurance
- Obesity rates drop because responsible information and help is available to everyone
- Plus many other promises…
A real world story to learn from:
I have a friend in his late 20’s in the low to no income part of the 40 million without private insurance he and his family are on state finical aid. He is unemployed due to extreme obesity which causes health related issues.
More than a week ago he said he wasn’t feeling well and was sick, I didn’t think anything of it until I went to a party with him a few days ago and the next day I and 4 other people were sick too. After a day of feeling bad I went to the health department and spent $20 to get tested for strep. It was positive, I was advised to stay home and away from people which I did. I’m a self employed technologist in my 30’s without health insurance. I’m in good shape and typically healthy.
Because I got sick I alerted everyone at the party to get tested if they didn’t fell well. Including my friend.
He’s response is why I’m writing this post. “I’ll probable go to the ER” – He said.
Even though he has state healthcare free, state financial aid free, and there’s nothing collections can do to him.. It still took him 2 weeks to go to the doctor and then it was the ER. This proved to me that the real world problem is life style not access to healthcare or health insurance.
How I see the problem:
Lifestyle is the problem not access to healthcare of health insurance. No amount of information or free services has changed this life style in a real world example. Access to Health insurance did not get him out walking or taking better care of himself. Government propaganda Ads on media outlets didn’t help him or change his life style.
Why aren’t we changing life styles with Health insurance:
- ERs have no way to hold patients accountably to change – ER wins
- The urgency and care shown at an ER is much higher than a family doctors office – ER wins
- The ER is often faster and more professional in most areas. – ER wins
- There is a lot less condemnation from seeing a ER Doctor once than a family doctor that can hold you accountable. – ER wins
- ER is open all hours – ER wins
- Family doctor is more personable and can be more friendly but not always – Tie
- A lot of family doctors aren’t taking new patient and will not take chronic pain patients at all – ER wins
- There are so many more I’m not going to list
How I see the solution:
Until tough love is introduced and we change the incentives for going to an ER and have a real conversation. When we start talking about life style and why he didn’t go to the doctor the 2nd day he was sick, why he went out in public sick, we will not solve anything. We must address the incentives, life style changes and solve the depression and self neglect that comes with these poor choices. We must lift the self worth and values in this process or the loop will just start over.